Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Royal We by Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan




Title: The Royal We
Authors: Heather Cocks & Jessica Morgan
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing 
Number of Pages: 464
Source: My Copy













Blurb:
American Rebecca Porter was never one for fairy tales. Her twin sister, Lacey, has always been the romantic who fantasized about glamour and royalty, fame and fortune. Yet it's Bex who seeks adventure at Oxford and finds herself living down the hall from Prince Nicholas, Great Britain's future king. And when Bex can't resist falling for Nick, the person behind the prince, it propels her into a world she did not expect to inhabit, under a spotlight she is not prepared to face.

Dating Nick immerses Bex in ritzy society, dazzling ski trips, and dinners at Kensington Palace with him and his charming, troublesome brother, Freddie. But the relationship also comes with unimaginable baggage: hysterical tabloids, Nick's sparkling and far more suitable ex-girlfriends, and a royal family whose private life is much thornier and more tragic than anyone on the outside knows. The pressures are almost too much to bear, as Bex struggles to reconcile the man she loves with the monarch he's fated to become.

Which is how she gets into trouble.

Now, on the eve of the wedding of the century, Bex is faced with whether everything she's sacrificed for love-her career, her home, her family, maybe even herself-will have been for nothing.

Spanning nearly a decade, The Royal We is a richly imagined, emotionally compelling novel that examines, with warmth and wit, what truly happens after your prince has come




 Review:
I am a sucker for prince books. Pretty much any book with the word prince in the title or blurb will guarantee that I'll buy it. I have to admit, I'm not sure it was worth the $9.99 I paid for it.

The Royal We was cute, charming and fun but I felt frustrated in reading it.  It was told in first person format from the point of view of Becky, who falls in love with Prince Nicholas.  While I enjoyed that it went  from 2009-2013 it was a little jarring when Becky would insert something like-that never really happened, etc., etc. with regards to events mentioned in her biography, The Bexicon throughout the book. I think what made it frustrating for me is that I felt like I wanted to know Nicholas more. I never really got what made Becky wait that long for him. I think by year four of being kept hidden from the family and media, I would've been out of there.  But maybe not, because some things really are worth waiting for. :)

I think my main problem with this book was it was 100 pages too long, and the ending while sweet left me wanting more and slightly jipped-it just felt rushed and like things were missing from it.  This was not a bad read, but I expected a lot more-to me this was a library read. I don't know why it was slightly disappointing but it was. 


Side note: I learned after the fact that the authors have a very popular blog and are known royal watchers,  so I think if you followed their blog this book would be much more entertaining and it explains the high $9.99 price I paid for it. For some reason when a book is priced that high and I am dumb enough to buy I always have way higher expectations for the book then I should have.